Sunday, August 9, 2009

Idaho

We spent the last half of July in Idaho. We had to take "Zoe," my 1990 Toyota Celica that I got in high school, to Blackfoot for my 15 year old brother. Clint finally got tired of driving "his wife's high school car" and upgraded. Because she was so old, I wouldn't be able to get anything for her, and I was so sentimentally attached to her, I couldn't sell her to just anyone. So, Dale was thrilled to inherit her. When she isn't driven for a while, she has to be jump-started. So, Clint and Dale jump-started her the night before we left for Idaho and drove her around a little bit so she would be ready for the 650 mile drive the next day. Everything was going fine, until we hit Laramie. Clint had to stop to rearrange the welder and the half way finished window well covers (another story...)in Zoe and turned the engine off. She refused to start again. He and Dale had to push start her to get her going. But then about 5 miles west of Laramie, she lost reverse and 5th gear. When you can only go 65 miles an hour, Wyoming takes forever to cross! Although Clint had to be careful where he parked, because he might have to be push started to get going again and his reverse didn't work, we luckily made it to Blackfoot with no other problems! At least my mom won't have to worry about Dale speeding!!
My family had our first family reunion. It was the first time in nearly 4 years that all ten of us were together, and with one sister moving to Japan next summer, it may be the last time in a long while before we are able to do it again. It was fun seeing everyone and Regan LOVED playing with all of her cousins and did not want to come home. She has since asked several times, "when can we move to Idaho?" So here we are all, in birth order, Spencer, Michelle, me, Andrea, Jessica, Theresa, Savannah, Natalie, Suzanne, and Dale.
The next morning, my mom's stake was hosting a 5K fun run for Pioneer Day. Several of my siblings are runners, so a handful of us showed up to run-the slackers slept in! ;) Despite the race organizers saying that only members of the stake were allowed to win ribbons, Savannah placed first in her division, Clint won second place in his division, and first place in the stroller division--there was only one other person pushing a stroller. It was Suzanne's first 5K and she did an excellent job!
That night was Natalie's wedding. Regan couldn't wait to go, but I think it was because she got to wear her new dress, not becuase Natalie was getting married. I made the wedding cake and it was beautiful, until the heat got it. I neglected to take any pictures of it when it was just finished, but just an hour later, the frosting had melted and I didn't have any time left to fix it. I don't think the horizontal lines on it helped much. Luckily, Natalie was a good sport about it. So, now I only decorate cakes in climate controlled environments!Here is Natalie with all the nieces and nephews on our side.

Overall, we had a wonderful time. Regan loved jumping on the tramp and playing Barbies with her cousins. Haden chased every animal at my mom's house. He has since come up with his own "sign" for goat. Very entertaining... They both had to be persuaded to ride the 4 wheelers, but then didn't want to get off. (I don't think I have ever gotten a picture of Dale without him making a ridiculous face...BLACKMAIL!!) The ride home even went much faster because we didn't have to go 65 mph!

1 comment:

Sara said...

How fun to have all your family together! I can't believe how grown up Natalie and Suzanne are! In my mind they are just tiny little girls, not brides! :)