Sunday, November 7, 2010

Power tools!

So a while back, Clint let Haden use his power drill. I knew we were going to regret it! Haden has been begging to use it again and again and again! The problem is that he can't use it unsupervised and the last thing I want to do is spend my day watching Haden drill hole after hole after hole. For some reason, his attention span is considerably longer if the activity involves power tools! Clint compromised and handed over the electric screwdriver. Haden keeps it in his toolbox and spends long stretches of time multiple times a day "working". Haden insists on wearing his hard hat, tool belt, and his workglasses that he stole from Clint's toolbox this afternoon as he works. (Apparently stealing tools is genetic-I have found several tools with Clint's dad's name engraved on them in Clint's tool box!)

Haden likes to have an audience as he works. Luckily, he only has a small piece of 2x4 that can follow me around the house, although he discovered the pumpkins today. Our collection of baby pumpkins harvested from our garden is now riddled with little holes! Fortunately, the drill bit kept getting stuck and was getting covered in pumpkin. Haden is rather a neat freak and did not appreciate a dirty drill. He washed the bit, and returned to his 2x4.

Haden has even let me use his "drill". He insisted that I wear the hard hat to be safe. I once had the nerve to ask Haden to do something while he was drilling. He looked up with complete indignation and said, "But mom, I am working!" I had to wait until the hole was adequately drilled before he would complete my request.

2 comments:

Ryan and GeAnna said...

Hayden is so much like his dad!! I am so glad Caleb has not discovered power tools yet. Can't wait to see you guys again. Lila is getting so big!

JKLCP said...

Haden is so cute! Love that he enjoys working hard! :)