Friday, September 25, 2009

Keystone

We spent the last few days in Keystone, CO where Clint was having a conference. We tag along with him every year and explore the area. We drove over Loveland Pass enroute to Keystone. It didn't look bad from the car, but the wind was howling and the snow was blowing. There was another guy at the top was was watching his brother approach the summit of the mountain. They had to have been crazy. We were freezing and had only been out of the car for a few minutes! Our condo was right on the lake with beautiful views of the mountains. I had done some research online before we left, so I knew where I wanted to go, which hikes I wanted to do, etc. while Clint was in his conference. I neglected to check the weather--it snowed off and on the entire time we were up there, thus ruining most of my plans. Haden had also woken up with a fever the day before so he was ornery and cranky most of the time.
We did make several visits to the swimming pool--I love traveling during the off season, we had the entire pool to ourselves, and we drove up to Montezuma. Online, Montezuma is advertised as a ghost town worth visiting. I was envisioning that we could get out and wander around and look at old buildings. I was very disappointed! Ghost towns don't have brand new expensive log cabins being built in them, although they were being built next to run down, eclectic houses like this one. Regan now thinks we should repaint our house to match. There was even a grainary turned into crude living quarters. (The battery in the camera died, thus no picture.)
Because of the weather and Haden's fever, we spent most of the trip in the condo, although we were able to feed the ducks on the lake. Regan is now an expert fire-starter, Haden's fever finally broke the last night we were there, and I am well on my way to finishing Gone with the Wind, again. (I love that book!)

1 comment:

MnM said...

Poor Hayden. It looks so cold there!