Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Mt. Sneffels Half Marathon

The Mt. Sneffels half marathon starts in Ouray, CO and finishes in Ridgway, CO. I think it is one of the most beautiful race courses. Clint ran it last year, but this year, my sister, Savannah, wanted to join him. Because life got crazy about a month before the race, neither of them were able to train much and just hoped that they would be able to finish.

Despite good intentions, we left late Friday morning for Ouray. Thanks to portable DVD players, all three kids travel remarkably well. We always stop at the same hamburger stand by the river in Buena Vista. The kids love running around at the park and throwing rocks into the river.

The kids and I dropped Clint and Savannah off for their 7:30 start time. And then my challenge started. I had to get all three kids to the hotel, feed them, pack up the room, and make it to the finish line in Ridgway before Clint. The breakfast room at the hotel was tiny, and full of older people. I think people cringed when they saw us coming. Lila was very cooperative, she slept through the entire ordeal. Regan and I were able to agree on something for her breakfast. Haden was a different story. No matter what I offered him, he loudly insisted that he didn't like it. I was ready to let him go without breakfast, but he finally agreed on a blueberry muffin. One lady noticed my situation (and Haden's fireman hat that HAD to come with us to breakfast) and asked to talk to Haden. Apparently her husband had been a firefighter and she was telling Haden all about it. He loved it and more importantly, became more cooperative. We made it to Ridgway with time to spare.
The kids were watching for Clint, saying he was running too slow!
Clint finished in 1:40:55, only 5 seconds slower than last year.

Savannah finished in 2:05:45 which was several minutes faster than she was even hoping to finish in.
They were both complaining about how miserable the last hill was and then tried to talk me into doing it next year. I don't think so.
Regan's race was next and due to some unfortunate events, she only got to run the last lap and they weren't timing it. She let me run with her, but kept telling me that she was going to beat me! She is a fast little runner!


We went to Maggie's for lunch where the kids signed their names on the walls several times and then we headed for home. It was a quick trip, but I think everyone had fun!

No comments: