Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Regan is a 1st grader!

Regan started 1st grade yesterday. To say she was excited would be an understatement. She has been counting down the days since before she graduated from kindergarten last year. School clothes shopping with Regan was a lot of fun. I think it is hilarious how excited she gets about clothes and accessories! In the store, she would select a shirt/skirt/necklace/shoes and say, "Mom, don't you think this will look super cute with my....". She so didn't inherit that from me! She insisted on a new backpack because her kindergarten backpack had princesses on it, and she has "outgrown" princesses. She could not wait to select her first week's outfits, necklaces, headbands and all!
Regan was thrilled to have two of her good friends in class with her. Friends always make a school year better. I felt kind of silly, though. In Regan's IEP meeting last spring, the social worker suggested that she be put in a class with at least one of her friends. Regan tends to be shy in unfamiliar situations and friends help off set that. So, when the class assignments came out, and Regan wasn't with her friends, I talked to the administration and had her class rearranged. Her new teacher was told it was because Regan was shy. Well, today, her teacher, Ms. Mramor, told me that she is absolutely not shy. She quickly let her know that her name only had one "a" in it and had no problem participating. I am still unsure what I think about a teacher who misspells a student's name and then just scribbles out the extra letter. So, I am sure the teacher thinks I am one of "those" parents, but oh well. Regan loves having friends in her class. I hope it is a positive experience for her.
I think I was more nervous than she was, thinking of all the "what ifs" that could happen. She has never been away from me for that long, that many times a week! The first day was great. She had so much fun and wasn't confused about anything. Haden, however, was a mess without Regan. He missed her so much! Thankfully, he starts school tomorrow!

I can't believe Regan is in 1st grade! She is growing up so quickly!

No comments: