Friday, June 17, 2011

Regan Finishes Kindergarten!

The end of school is always filled with fun activities. Kindergarten is no exception. Regan got to go on her first field trip, without me, to the zoo. I was horribly nervous for her. I imagined all sorts of things that could go wrong. So, I talked to her teacher and arranged for Regan to be in the same group as one of her best friends whose mom was going as a chaperon. Regan was thrilled, but I was relieved, knowing she would be well taken care of! I sent a camera with her with instructions to have her friend's mom take pictures of her around the zoo. I explained that pictures are so much better when there are people in them. Regan had the best time ever! She loved the bus ride, even though she fell asleep, and said that she just might be willing to ride the bus home from school now. I laughed when I downloaded her pictures; she was just too excited to pay attention to any of my advice.
There were a lot of pictures of this lady, but this was the most flattering view.
She really liked the monkeys.

The flamingos were also well documented. There was not one single picture of Regan or any of her friends! So glad she listened to my advice! At least she had a wonderful time!

The teacher who set up Field Day did a fabulous job! There was a lot of variety and fun activities for the kids.
I love this picture! Regan(in the white shirt and blue skirt) looks like she is running for all she is worth.
The parachute was also fun. There was also an obstacle course, a minute to win it type of game, and a drench the 5th grader by throwing the ball at the target game. Regan actually drenched him! I was very proud of her!
Two hot and sweaty girls after all their running around.


Since Regan has a summer birthday, we brought treats in to celebrate early. Rather than the typical cupcakes, Regan wanted "Worms in Dirt" (chocolate pudding with ground up Oreos sprinkled on top and a couple of gummy worms).
Her class sang "Happy Birthday" to her.
And then we went outside to eat. I think Haden liked hanging out with all the older kids!

Regan was sick and missed the second and third to last days of school. She insisted that she still wasn't up for going to school on the last day, but it was graduation. We spent the morning in the doctor's office, where she was diagnosed with a double ear infection, and made it to the park down the road from the school just in time for graduation.
Naomi and Brooklyn made this year absolutely wonderful for Regan!
Each kindergartner had to tell everyone what they were going to be when they grow up. I honestly had no idea what Regan was going to say, but not at all surprised when I heard, "I am going to be a singer, just like Taylor Swift".

Regan loved her teacher, Mrs. Appel.

Her speech therapist, Ms. Amy, worked absolute wonders with Regan. Regan improved leaps and bounds in her speech. I will always be grateful to Ms. Amy for her dedication to her job and to my little girl!

All in all, Regan loved kindergarten. She learned to read, her handwriting and coloring skills improved dramatically, and she became more confident with herself. For example, a few weeks ago we were at McDonald's with some friends. Regan and her friend were playing basketball. For these two girly girls it was a big deal when one of them made a basket. A couple of older boys came over and apparently called them losers. Regan, with hand on hip, let them have it. She told them, in a matter of fact voice, that it was not nice to call people losers and it was only because they were older that they were better at playing basketball! I was so proud of her! A year ago, I was still bribing her to stand up for herself. My little girl is growing up! I cannot believe that she is first grader now!

No comments: