Monday, July 29, 2013

First day of school

Regan started 3rd grade this year.  She got the teacher she wanted, Ms. Toay.  We started year round school this year and we don't know anyone else on our track, so Regan has to make all new friends.  And there are only a handful of girls in her class again, just like last year.  She hasn't seemed to mind, though.  Apparently she plays (watches) soccer with the boys during recess. 
 She got her shirt as a birthday present from Savannah and immediately decided to wear it for the first day.  Regan has always enjoyed school and always done very well.
 Haden started school two days after Regan.  The kindergarten teachers assess each of the kids one on one during the first two days.  Haden's teacher, Mrs. Dougherty, praised Haden and his academic ability.  She labeled him advanced after 10 minutes with him and put him on the advanced reading list.  He is a smart little stinker.  He taught himself to read and loves practicing math problems with Regan.  He's always been curious and is a very capable problem solver. 
 Unfortunately, Haden is also a big mama's boy.  The poor little boy was horribly anxious about starting school and being gone from me that long.  If he had never left me, his argument would be more understandable, but he went to two and half years of preschool and bunches of play dates.  I think he just gets anxious when he is faced with situations that he is not completely sure about.  He asked for countless blessings and Clint always complied.  At his request, we say several prayers every morning.  I am grateful that he knows where to go to find peace and comfort.  Mrs. Dougherty has been fabulous with him and says that he is fine once school starts.  He always has a smile when I pick him up, it is just getting him there that is a lot of work.  Poor little guy!  They had a fire drill the first week of school.  Haden was a nervous wreck!  He hates loud noises.  The principal was at the door when we got to school and asked what was wrong. He patiently explained everything that was going to happen during the fire drill to Haden.  Then, went and checked on him post-fire drill and then called me to let me know he was okay.  Can you get better attention at a public school?  I was impressed!  It might be because Clint has been instrumental in getting lots of improvements for the school, but still.  I am loving the special attention my kiddos are getting!
Lila starts preschool next month and I am looking forward to the 5 hours I will have by myself until the baby comes!  I don't even know what I'll do with myself! 

1 comment:

MnM said...

So glad Hayden got Mrs. D. We LOVED her with Ashlee who is very nervous about new situations. Looks like you have had a great start to the new school year.